Estate Planning Services
Robbins Notaries offers estate planning services in Parksville and can guide you through the steps to ensure that you’re prepared for the unexpected. We can answer questions about personal will preparation, Representation Agreements, and the safekeeping of your estate planning documents.
Estate planning is the process of planning for the distribution of your possessions in the event of incapacity of death. While it can be uncomfortable to talk about your own mortality, estate planning can provide peace of mind for both you and your family members. Preparing a personal will, appointing an executor, and arranging Power of Attorney agreements helps to reduce the stress of family members who will eventually be asked to make decisions on your behalf. By planning your estate, your decisions and health preferences can be carried out if you’re not able to act on your own.
Personal Will Preparation
The first step to preparing a personal will is gathering the information you’ll need. Here is a list of details you will need to plan your will.
- Your legal name and address, as well as any aliases you use
- The full name and address of the person you’d like to appoint as executor of your Will
- The full name and address of an alternate executor if your appointed executor is unable to act
- A detailed description of the personal property or lump sums of money you’d like to leave to beneficiaries
- Details on how you’d like the balance of your estate distributed
- Full name and addresses of all your beneficiaries
- A description of how you’d like your assets distributed if a beneficiary predeceases you
- If any beneficiaries are under 19 years of age, you will need the name and address of the person you are designating as guardian
- Any information relating to burial or cremation arrangements that you may have
Power of Attorney
Your Power of Attorney is the person chosen and appointed by you to manage your real estate and financial affairs in the event that you’re absent or incapacitated due to physical or mental health problems.
The person you choose can be your spouse, a friend, or family member. Choosing the right person(s) to make decisions on your behalf requires careful consideration and should be someone you know and trust who is 19 years or older, mentally capable, and understands the responsibility. As your Power of Attorney is legally able to make decisions on your behalf at the time of signing, you’ll want to know about the precautions available that prevent it from being exercised when you are able to make financial decisions yourself.
Representation agreements allow you to choose and appoint an individual to make important personal and health care decisions on your behalf. More thorough than the Power of Attorney agreement, this can be either a Standard Representation Agreement addressing matters of routine financial or health care decisions or an Enhanced Representation Agreement which includes making decisions about end of life care. You may decide to have more than one representative or to appoint a Monitor who ensures that your wishes are being carried out.
Once the documents of your estate planning have been made, our office can provide you with a safe place to keep them until they’re needed. The cost is less than a safe deposit box, and the documents can be accessed by you or your representatives upon request. Call our office for details. Robbins Notaries provides estate planning services to clients in Parksville, Qualicum Beach, Errington and the Oceanside region.
For more information about the estate planning services available to individuals in Parksville, please contact the Robbins Notaries team to learn how they can help you.